Check and clean log files – /var/log/
To determine the total used space of /var/log/ and /var/log/journal/*/:
Display the largest log file of the last 3 months /var/log/journal/*/:
1. Display exact size of the file var/log/btmp in KB.
2. Clear the file /var/log/btmp.
3. Display current size of the emptied file var/log/btmp in KB.
Deleting all systemd journal files older than 20 days
- root@server:~# journalctl --vacuum-time=20d
- Journal file /var/log/journal/12345/user-1000.journal is truncated, ignoring file.
- Deleted archived journal /firstname.lastname@example.org (48.0M).
- Deleted archived journal /email@example.com (104.0M).
- Deleted archived journal /firstname.lastname@example.org(8.0M).
- Vacuuming done, freed 2.7M of archived journals from /var/log/journal/12345.
Deleting all systemd journal files that exceed a disk size of x.